Difficult Graces


I'm not sure where to begin this post; I just have the urgent need to write because I don't know what else to do. So if you find yourself reading this, I apologize in advance for the scatteredness of my thoughts.
A dear friend is in the midst of a bittersweet grace. She is spending the final days, perhaps hours with her sister who is dying of cancer. My friend is more like a sister to me than a friend. She has been there for me over the past 6 years praying me through some very difficult moments. She is the kind of person who always seems to know what to say and do in difficult times. Well, now it is my turn to pray her through this. I know that prayer is the best thing I can do for her and her family right now, but that doesn't stop me from feeling helpless.
This feeling of helplessness~ I stopped to really think about this over the last few days and I realized that this is more about me than it is about my dear friend. By concentrating on that awkward feeling I realized that I was turning things toward me instead of her. So as difficult as it is to watch her go through this, I know that God is at work and has it all under his control. So I return to prayer. It is all I can and need to do for her right now. I know that in my weakness is God's strength.
I am always amazed at how God works in these situations. When I take the time and effort to stand back and just let Him do what He needs to do, I truly am in awe.
My friend's sister is on the cross. My prayer for my friend is that our Blessed Mother obtain from her Son the strength He gave her while she stood at the cross and watched Him die. May my friend find that same strength.
I started this post by saying that my friend was experiencing a bittersweet grace; I believe that I am being given that same gift in a different way. True and deep friendship is an awesome gift from God. I thank him everyday for this special woman. This side of heaven I will never know what I did to deserve a friend like her.
So I will continue to pray the best prayer that can ever be prayed~in all of this, may God's will be done.
Thank you, kind readers, for bearing with me through this post. I would also ask that you pray for my friend and her sister.
*Picture courtesy of allposters.






Comments

Oma aka Meme said…
bless your heart - you are a blessing to her- as one who just finished a few months ago of caring and loving my dear hubby through cancer I can say how much those prayers meant- if you can - do small things for her- so she can rest her mind from her focus- a cookie package- a bubble bath set- a easy book to read- and pray- yes- pray- hugs from Meme
I pray for them both - and for you.