Saint Joseph the Worker


Today the Church has the option of celebrating the memorial of St. Joseph the Worker. This feast was started by Pope Pius XII in 1955 as a resposnse to the Communist May Day celebrations. You can read more about the history of the relationship between St. Joseph and the cause of workers here.
To me Joseph is the epitome of humility. Scripture says very little about him, yet he was chosen by God to be the foster father and earthly protector of our Lord and Savior. God, through Saint Joseph, shows us the dignity of work. Jesus learned the trade of carpentry from Joseph and worked by his side in Nazareth until he left to begin his ministry. God, in the person of Jesus Christ, dignified human work.
In today's culture work is often seen as something that is just necessary to pay the bills. While this is true, our work can and should be offered to God for His glory. When I was in highschool, our principal, a sister of St. Joseph, loved to say to us, "Girls, work is a privilege!" I never quite understood what she meant until I came back to my faith. The God-given ability to work, to be productive is a privilege and not everyone has it whether it be due to economic circumstances or physical limitations. We can ask St. Joseph's intercession for blessing upon our work whether we are a stay at home Mom or Dad, a highly skilled professional or a tradesman.

Prayer to St. Joseph the Worker
Glorious St. Joseph, example for all who are engaged in toil, pray with me, please, to obtain the grace that I may work in the spirit of penance, and so make atonement for my sins…
that I may work conscientiously, keeping devotion to duty before my personal feelings…
that I may work with thankfulness and joy, holding it an honour to use and develop by my labour, the gifts I have received from Almighty God.
Pray with me, that I may obtain help to work with order, peace, moderation, and patience - and never shirk duty because of weariness or because of difficulties encountered, and that, before all else, I may work with a right intention and with detachment from self, keeping always in mind the hour of my death and the account I must give then for misused time, for neglected talents, for good not done, and for any foolish pride in my success - a fault so fatal to the work of God,
All for Jesus, all through Mary, all in imitation of you , Joseph most faithful! This shall be my motto in life and death.
Amen.

Comments

Evann said…
What a lovely post. I hope you don't mind - I shared it on my St. Joseph Altar blog.